1. Songwriting: The success of your music artistry relies heavily on your ability to become a great songwriter. Learn how to structure a song, enhance your wordplay and much more. Download and read Creative Writing 4 Freshmen ebook, or read chapter 1 of Hip-Hop 4 Freshmen. Empower yourself.
2. Brand Development: Before selling your music to the world (cds, downloads, shirts, hats etc.) you have to create a logo. Why? So that the United States government and customers can distinguish between you and other products for sell in the marketplace. Learn how to create a logo and build your brand identity. Download and read Brand Development 4 Freshmen or chapter 2 of Hip-Hop 4 Freshmen. Empower yourself!
3. Music Copyrights: First-off, in order to receive royalties (money from the performance of your songs), you must claim ownership. The government only pays royalties to the person or entity who is registered as the copyright owner of the song. Learn how to copyright your music today! Download and read Copyright Law 4 Freshmen ebook, or read chapter 3 of Hip-Hop 4 Freshmen. Empower yourself.
4. Business Banking: When you earn royalties from your music it must be deposited into a business bank account. If you use a personal bank account the government will freeze your account and take your money. Learn how to open a business bank account! Download and read Business Banking 4 Freshmen or chapter 4 of Hip-Hop 4 Freshmen! Empower yourself!
6. Business Taxes: If you don't keep track of your music-business expenses and income, you’ll be in trouble when in comes time to pay Uncle Sam. Avoid an IRS audit and don’t pay the more taxes then you have to. Learn how to identify and itemize business expenses to prepare a more accurate tax report. Download and read Business Taxes 4 Freshmen, or chapter 6 of Hip-Hop 4 Freshmen. Empower yourself today!
7. Artist Management: There are several professionals that every music artist needs to consult or hire, like an account, business manager, entertainment lawyer etc. Learn how to assemble an artist management team. Download and read Artist Management 4 Freshmen ebook, or chapter 7 of Hip-Hop 4 Freshmen. Empower yourself!
8. Music Publishing: There are several ways an artist can earn royalties from a song - not just from stage performances and radio spins. Learn how to publish music and identify the ways to earn royalties independently. Download and read Music Publishing 4 Freshmen, or chapter 8 of Hip-Hop 4 Freshmen. Empower yourself!
9. Music Distribution: The world is waiting to hear your music! Learn how to get a barcode and identify the various digital platforms that gets your music out there. Download and read Music Distribution 4 Freshmen ebook, or chapter 9 of Hip-Hop 4 Freshmen. Empower yourself!
10. Trademark Law: The moment you sell your first CD or music download, your logo instantly becomes a trademark. Learn how to protect your brand in the marketplace. Download and read Trademark Law 4 Freshmen, or chapter 10 of Hip-Hop 4 Freshmen. Empower yourself!
…In summary, you can have the greatest ideas, the best music products and all the talent in the world, but you’ll NEVER be successful as an artist or business owner if don’t know the fundamentals of how to: build a brand, protect your intellectual property, incorporate your business and so on. Knowledge is power.